Stream of Consciousness

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Double Date

Last Saturday I went on a blind date with my best friend and her fiance. It was horrible! We had been talking on the phone all during that week and it wasn't spectacular. As soon as I hopped in the truck I knew it wasn't going to work. I know that sounds superficial! Well we head to Sonic with the other couple following. I was so incredibly nervous and hungry, I wolfed down a hamburger, fries, and a smoothie. We barely made conversation with each other. Thirty minutes later we left for the softball fields. He was playing for his men's team and we were going to watch. After the first half inning, me and the other couple were lost in our own world. Occasionally, we would remember to root and cheer for Chad (my date). During the last inning, someone hit a foul ball and it came soaring into the stands. I quickly covered my head and -- BANG -- it hit my shoulder blade. It didn't really hurt because as a softball player myself it's not uncommon to get hit everyone once in a while. But it was so embarrassing. All the people in the stands, and there were quite a few, gasped and stared! Dana, my friend also on the date, put her arm around me and we laughed. What would have made it perfect was if Chad had hit that foul ball. So the game ends and he comes over and after laughing at me because I got hit by the ball says, "Here it is. I am just going to go the house. I don't feel good. My arm hurts and I'm hot. Hey, there's my friend over there that I work with! I'll probably hang around here for a little bit." Relieved and shocked, I stammered, "Um. Ok. I need to get my wallet and keys out of my truck." He then proceeds to hand me his keys so that I can unlock it myself! Flawlessly, I find the Toyota key, unlock the door, and grab my stuff. I give him a quick hug and murmured some salutation and we left. The rest of the night was great. Before I left Dana's I said, "Remember that double date we went on? And I got hit with the ball?" We laughed. Good times!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home