Stream of Consciousness

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Blue Chevrolet

Its late Wednesday afternoon and I just finished my shift at New Rock. As I merge onto the interstate I notice a beautiful blue Chevrolet pickup truck two lanes over. We are head to head and I need to get over in the middle lane, so I make sure he isn't going into the middle lane, too. Immediately I notice the women in the passenger seat. She is staring at me. She reminds me of a trailer trash hippy. She looks like a younger version of this lady. Except the lady in the truck didn't have such a prominent jaw bone and her face was more flat.

The man in the driver seat leans over and peers at me. I keep looking over and ahead thinking, "Are they really completely staring at me?" I pass them and steal glances in the rear view mirror. Sure enough they start gaining on me. As they pass they both stare -the man completely leaning over to look through the window past his travel mate. As they pass, the man cranes his neck as he stares in his rear view mirror. They then appear like they are talking as they continue to look in the mirror. Do they mistake me for someone else? Are they planning my death? Further on down the road we come to a stop light. They get into the turning lane and I stay in the lane going straight. The light for turning left goes first. As they past the man honks and the lady looks at me and lips, "hi," with a look on her face that says, "I'm sorry about my husband and me staring a lot."

Maybe they know me from somewhere. I should have gotten their license plate number. If I see them again I will call the police and drive to the station.

What if they are kidnappers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home