Stream of Consciousness

Monday, May 30, 2005

JLT

I spent the weekend in Arkansas. It was great! I arrived Friday evening to Erin cooking chicken fajitas. She looked thinner than the last time I saw her (2 1/2 years ago). We immediately became comfortable with each other. Jeremy (her fiance) and his brother (Josh) would be arriving soon. Jeremy drives a milk truck for Borden. He is a pretty huge guy who I immediately felt comfortable around. Josh is the first single brother I would meet. He is a student at Mississippi State University, majoring in agribusiness and economics. We enjoyed the evening together. I fit right in. Josh was cute.

I guess I should explain why visited Arkansas. My friend Erin Wood is getting married to Jeremy Thomason. Erin and I go back to the summers at
Beaver Creek Bible Camp at the Beaver Creek Reserve, just outside of Eau Claire, WI. At that time she lived in Owatonna, MN and I lived in Sycamore, IL. All the little kids at BCBC thought we were sisters because we had the same name. Fond memories include standing on top of the rocks in the Fall River after a long canoe trip having a spitting contest. Erin went to Harding University while I, a year later, went to Freed-Hardeman University. My first and only semester at FHU, I went to Searcy, AR to visit Erin. We went on a double date. This is when I first met Jeremy. Erin graduated in three years with a degree in elementary education and set up permanent residence in AR. I moved to Alabama. Now, Erin is getting married June 17. She lives in De Valls Bluff and teaches in Clarendon. I made this trip primarily to meet the other bridesmaids and get my dress altered.

Saturday Erin and I went to
The Bridal Cottage to get my dress altered. The dress size was a 22! I wear a size 18. So there was a lot of altering. The bill was pretty high. The dress itself was $177! Then add shoes ($60), strapless bra ($36), bra cups ($20), and alterations ($40) -- that's $333! Here is Erin's dress, she looks spectacular! Here is my dress. After alterations, Erin, Courtney (Jeremy's little cousin), Courtney's boyfriend Beau, and I went to Riverfest in Little Rock. That was awesome. I highly enjoyed Sum of Us, Andy Childs, and Hank Williams, Jr. In the middle of Andy Childs' performance, which was spectacular, Jake showed up. In the line of brothers, Jake is fondly referred to as "Number 2." (Jeremy, being the oldest is "Number 1," Josh is "Number 3," and Joe is "Number 4." This is what I knew of Jake before I met him him. He is 23, 6'8, and a great dancer! When I met him I was immediately attracted to him. When Bocephus took the stage, the party officially started. I was standing between Jake and Josh. We danced and had a great time. By this time I already had the hots for Jake. After the concert we went to the Electric Cowboy. I was nervous about this one. I don't go to clubs, but I love to dance and this was a mix of honkeytonk and club. When a slow country song came up, Jake came up to me, grabbed my hand, and lead me to the dance floor.

He taught me the two step and he was so smooth and cute and he twirled me and we laughed and he sang to me and it was so great! Butterflies. Then the fast country song came on. And we were swinging our hips and he was so cute and suave and handsome!

Needless to say I was crushing. But after those dances, I didn't dance with him anymore. I danced with Josh because I didn't want to leave him out and I had fun with him too. I was intimidated afterward to initiate a dance with Jake. While Jake and I were dancing, we had a short conversation. He said, "So you're from up north?" I said, "Well, I live in Alabama, but I lived in Illinois before that." He said, "Oh you don't look or sound northern. You're a quiet one." I said, "What do northern people look like? Its hard to have a conversation when loud music is playing" He said, "Yea." I said, "You're a good dancer!" He said, "The only problem is I really don't know what I'm doing." Not much happened after that.

We got back to De Valls Bluff around 3am. After taking showers and washing clothes we hit the hay only to wake up the next morning at 10 for church. Before I left I told Erin and Jeremy that I liked Jake. I left around 12:30 and arrived in Tuscaloosa around 6pm. Jake and Josh both don't have a computer let alone internet. But I really want to keep in touch with them, especially Jake. I think I am going to call Erin sometime this week and get Jake's cell phone number and text message him. But I will be heading back to AR June 15 and we are going dancing after the wedding!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home