Stream of Consciousness

Monday, September 26, 2005

Sunday Tornadic Sunday

Saturday. Late evening. My cell phone rings. Its Rick. Odd, he never calls anymore. I happily answered. That disappeared as I realized he was calling because he needed something. I didn't try very hard to make conversation. He finally got to it. Something wrong with his battery. It may not start in the morning. Could I come pick him up for church. He added a nice touch when he informed me that he had already called and asked Micah. I immediately thought of my half tank of gas that would have to last the rest of the week and the trouble it would be to arrange something with my sister and/or parents. I agreed (not joyously, nor reluctantly) to pick him up for church. That night Emily and I decided that we would take her car. But since she and youth group would be going somewhere after church I would take Rick home right after church and have my parents wait for me at the church building. I would drop Emily's car off and hop in the car with my parents. But there were complications with that. What time would the youth group leave? Rick would want to stay after and chat for a little bit after church. Mom and dad wouldn't wait for me to come back. Frustrated with my family for not trying to work with me, I decide to take my car. The thought of three of our vehicles driving to the same place and wasting gas frustrated me. Saturday, payday, 6 days a way, loomed far ahead in the week. 8:20am I leave the house. I clean the passenger area and start looking forward to our conversation on the way to church. But I am a little frustrated that the only time Rick solicits my time or attention is when he needs something. I try to push that away. I arrive and call him. He walks out of his apartment with a toothbrush in his mouth. Patiently I wait. Five minutes later he walks to my car and opens it. He then informs me that his car started and he should keep his car running to charge the battery so he'll just drive to church. Angered I say, "Rick! Why didn't you call me?" He says, "I just did it!" as he lifts his eyebrows in defense and gestures to his car. I say, "Fine." He closes the door and I drive off. On the way to church I check the rear view mirror to make sure he got the car going. He did. Anger begins to boil. The heat comes from all his self-centered behavior that hurts my feelings and infuriates me. In the church parking lot I immediately locate Amanda and quickly rehash the events. Her first response was, "Ugh, why didn't he call?!" As we approach the door we notice Rick talking to dad. I couldn't help but smirk. He genuinely thanked me and said that he might need me after church to drive him home if his car doesn't start. I don't remember exactly what I said but I barely met his eyes and quickly walked away. I suspected that he would be getting Micah to help him out after church. After service I walk up to him and ask, "Did your car start?" He says, "Uh. Don't worry about it. Micah's going to help me out." He barely finished his sentence when I did a Micah gesture and walked away.

I feel bad for acting like a witchy nagging woman. Especially that yesterday (when all this went down) was his birthday. Now I doubt he will make any effort to upkeep any sort of friendship especially when he probably doesn't understand why I reacted the way I did. I mean before we were on good terms and he told me he loved me (not that that would detract from any Rick-centered behavior). And I am certainly not going to knock on his door and expend the effort to mend anything. He doesn't. And he can enjoy life making out with his "friend" and disappointing his "close" Christian friends.

I can't help but feel like Cristeta Moreruela towards Don Juan when she turned the tables.
Maybe one day...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home