Stream of Consciousness

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Short Stories & Novellas

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about Henry James' novella, "Beast in the Jungle." I picture Rick as John Marcher and me as May Bartram. So I "warned" Rick by referring him to this story. A similar story was brought to my attention: "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" by Leo Tolstoy. I will be reading it later on this week. I have an affinity for short stories and novellas. Perhaps it is their quick lasting epiphanic bursts that stay with me and come back years later to my remembrance. Last night I was perusing the fiction shelves at Books A Million and I was reminded of the fiction or Laura Ingles Wilder and Cynthia Voigt that initially ignited my love for reading. I need to read those books again.

Beast in the Jungle
The Death of Ivan Ilyich

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home